Thursday 20 October 2011

Dont ask...

I dont know if any of you know, but I love gambling.

I will bet on most things. Thats a lie, I will bet on anything. Rugby league, boxing, elections, womens hockey, how many Cruisers Crack drinks before he 'has an accident', hell I will even bet on the AFL.

But most of all I like to bet on the horses. I have accounts with major TAB agencies in three different states and an account with a bookie. I also know a bookie who will take most any bet from me, however he and I dont see eye to eye anymore since the unpleasantness. I read all the racing news, I subscribe to newsletters, I watch races and replays of races, and I read all the form guides I can. I have systems which I follow and I am always altering these systems when they dont work only to watch my previous systems win.

Now, all this does not make me a good punter. I have had some good wins, but I have also lost 2 or 30000 times.

But what this does mean is that people know I like the horses and know a little more about the game than the average person. Which brings out this question "Got any tips Maca?". This question generally comes out around this time of year. Melbourne freakin Cup time.

I was walking into the TAB the other day when I hear a voice call out to me. It was a guy I used to play cricket with a while ago. We chatted for a few minutes (all the while in the back of my mind I was wondering whether I was going to miss the next at Geelong) and then he pipes up with this...

"You going in for a bet?"

I wanted to say

"No mate, this is where I do my groceries. The missus just asked me to pop down and grab a kilo of trifecta tickets."

But I didnt.

I nodded and he asked

"Got any tips?"

I said no. Which is true. I hadnt looked at the form, I planned to do this when I walked in.

He said,

"Fair enough, your tips are always shit anyway."

Now he may have a point. However I never proclaimed to be a tipster, but generally speaking if a mate asks me for a tip I will always be happy to talk about my thoughts and tell them the name of the horse/ horses which will be burdened under the weight of my hard earned. But I dont ask for anything in return, no cash changed hands, no contracts signed. Therefore no right of reply.

So from now on, if you run into me at the TAB and you ask me for a tip I will tell you, no I dont have one and you can shove your tips in a sack as well.

By the way Black Caviar by less than 4 lengths all up the All Blacks to win by less than 16.5

No comments: