Wednesday 25 August 2010

Why Bother?



This is the man that does most of Sydney's building inspections. That's right, Dopey has moved on from mining industry and is alive and well and working in the building pre purchase inspection game.

Regular viewers will know that I am soon to relocate to new digs, and as such have been going through the rigmarole of purchasing a house. This includes having the place inspected to ensure all load bearing curtains are in good nick and that I have not bought a house that I would be sharing with a colony of termites.

We employed the services of a pest and building inspector and received their reports a few days later in which he said there was no underfloor access and could not guarantee if the house was built on blocks of brick, cheese or otherwise and could not say if the house was being held up by a nation of termites or other such beasties.

This concerned me, so being the man of action that I am I contacted my own building inspector and arranged to meet him on site.

After being let in the door it took me one minute to find an access way to inspect below the house. One minute. Turns out it is all good below the floor, and with the house in general, although with a house with as much character as ours has, it will require some remediation works. But we knew that already.

But I digress---back to my original point--why is Dopey working in the building inspection industry? Why didn't he stay in mining? We poor purchasers place our trust and listen to the building inspectors opinion and in turn put money in their pockets, why can't they at least make an effort?

To the building pre-purchase inspector who inspected my abode, please get in the cannon, you deserve no less.